YOU are travelling in a foreign country and don’t want to take your passport or other valuables with you when you are exploring in case you find yourself in dubious situations.
But you also don’t want to leave your valuables unattended in your hotel room given you don’t know who has access while you are out and about.
This is where the safe in your hotel room comes into play, right? Wrong.
As it turns out, some hotel safes have a major flaw which would give thieves access to your personal items in a matter of seconds.
YouTube channel LockPickingLawyer recently highlighted the flaw, while inside a hotel.
“What I have for you today is a public service announcement on Saflok hotel safes,” he said.
After putting in a code and locking the door, the YouTuber showed the safe wouldn’t open when an incorrect pin was entered.
However, he goes on to say the hotel didn’t “reset the administrator password that comes from the factory” and this is where the trouble can be found.
By entering “super user mode” and pressing the “factory code” the hotel safe opened right up, without the need for the combination he originally entered.
“If you’re ever in a hotel that has one of these Saflok products and you need to use it to lock up some of valuables, it might be a good idea to make sure the hotel has reset the administrator password before relying on it to protect your goods,” he said.
Safes aren’t the only things you should avoid using in hotel rooms with kettles also something posing a risk for hotel guests.
As it turns out some guests like to use the kettles to clean their underwear, with the theory suggesting boiling your dirty jocks will get rid of all the bacteria so you can wear them the next day.
Senior Lecturer in Molecular Biosciences Dr Heather Hendrickson said as some bacteria — like Clostidium botulinum spores — can’t be killed by boiling water, the practice is not only gross, but it could be deadly.
“These don’t cause sickness if they are consumed, but their presence in certain environments can encourage them to produce a toxin that can be deadly,” she told Gizmodo.
On top of this, the kettle also won’t clean the pants properly without laundry detergent.
“There are simply too many unknowns and hotel kettles are not industrial strength cleaning facilities,” Dr Hendrickson added.